Borussia Dortmund sporting director Michael Zorc told tv broadcaster Sky ahead of Saturday’s match against VfL Wolfsburg that Mario Götze will not sign another contract with the club.
“We will end our partnership with Götze this summer,” Zorc said, adding: “It’s a decision both parties made together after a clean conversation. Mario is a really good guy. It’s in his interest to seek a new challenge, maybe also abroad.”
The 27-year-old will be a free agent with his contract running at the end of the 2019-20 season.
After making 34 appearances, including 26 starts, amassing 2266 minutes in all competitions last season, Götze has fallen down the pecking order in 2019-20. So far, he has only started in six out of 20 appearances across competitions, accumulating 599 minutes. Things are looking even bleaker for the 2014 World Cup winner in 2020 with only four garbage-time substitutions amounting to a total of 20 minutes on the field.
It is still unclear which team will sign Götze, who is earning €10m per year on his current deal at Dortmund. Though he has mostly been linked with Serie A teams.